The full-bodied 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon possesses subtle aromas of dark cherry, blackberry, and baked plum that flirt with delicate scents of smoke and toasted oak embers. Concentrated black currant and ripe blackberry flavors are gracefully supported by a core of silky tea-like tannins while subterranean layers of stony minerals lend support to a finish that, given sufficient time in the glass, develops roasted hints of dark chocolate.
Aged in all French oak barrels for 2+ years, 20 months then bottle aged for an additional year. Release date; fall 2016.
6 Barrels are new, 2 barrels are once used
The wine undergoes approximately 6 rackings. Barrels are blended at racking and then barrels are refilled with blended wine. Each barrel becomes less unique but the wi
Minimum filtering before bottling. Fining only if needed.ne gets progressively
Cooperage traits; (barrels are like spices with different attributes, and VDFW works with different coopers to create a spice rack effect).harmonious and closer to the finished product with each racking.
- Boutes; Allows fruit to show, lifting it with a slight veil and doesn’t overpower fruit.
- Baron; Gives structure & sweetness, Center of France barrels give sweetness and round, soft mouthfeel.
- Seguin Moreau; Adds smoky, toasty notes with some caramelization and vanilla.
- Vicard; VDFW first experience with Vicard. Impart spice.
- Taransaud; Gives structure and juicy mouthfeel.
- Saury; Barrels bent with water (steam) so the lower temperature process equates to lower tannin extraction.
We selected some barrels with medium long toast instead of medium plus toast. The longer, cooler process means less of the char or heavy toast traits found in barrels made with hotter, fasted toasting method.
2013 VDFW Dignity Cabernet Sauvignon, Atlas Peak
- Blend: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Winemaker: Victoria Coleman
- Region: Napa Valley
- Appellation: Coombsville
- Alcohol: 13.8%
- Production: 75 cases
- Sizes: 1.5, 750, 375